Tuesday 17 May 2011

I love late night shopping

Living just outside London for 15 years left me blase about shopping. Need a bottle of wine or deli nibble at midnight, no problem, just mosey on down to the local 24 hour supermarket....and be spoilt for chice with any one of the big three to choose from.

So as you can imagine, moving back up north to the countryside was a real shock to the system, with most shops shutting at 5.30pm (although the fabulous community-run village shop does keep open until 7pm!)

However, the times are a-changing. After a long meeting in Preston last night, I was in need of a supermarket - I had promised my husband that I would buy all the ingredients for his forthcoming soup kitchen event, and as had forgotten to book his train tickets earlier that day, successfully completing this task was crucial to restoring marital harmony.

After finding my usual supermarket closed, my trusty phone said that there was a Sainsbury's open until 11pm a couple of short miles away. 10.30pm found me in a pristine Sainsbury's with the run of the store, empty save for staff who were stock-taking and giving me strange looks. At one point I was convinced one of them was going to tell me to leave, the shop was closed, but undaunted I sped down the (clear) aisles filling my trolley without screaming kids or harrassed shoppers with ankle-bashing trolleys to hamper my progress....best night's shopping I've had in ages!

ps. found out at the checkout that I was their "late night shopper" this was the first night they had opened until 11pm and I was the first/last one over the threshold...I'm a celebrity!

No comments:

Post a Comment